Wildlife Resources

Wildlife Contacts

Wildlife Rehabilitators

The following are the main rehabbers in the Grand Rapids area are:

  • Peg & Roger Markle of Wildlife Rehab Center LTD  616-361-6109
  • Sjana Gordon of Michigan Wildlife Center 616-885-4223
  • Sue Stamy of Braveheart Raptor Rehab Center 231-821-9125
  • Buck DeRiuscher for lost banded pigeons 616-897-8206

Can call to figure out where the bird came from, also look online at

The owners often don’t want the banded pigeons back, as they see them as defective. These pigeons can be kept as pets or you can see if the animal shelter will take them in.

List of other Licensed Michigan Wildlife Rehabbers.

It is illegal to rehab skunks, bats, and raccoons in Michigan, so there are no wildlife rehabilitators that can take them in.

Pest Removal or Problem Wildlife

The following pest removal services will charge a removal fee.

  • Advantage Wildlife Management 616-460-3966
  • Mike’s Wild Animal Control 616-340-4263
  • Mike Roberts 616-738-8565 (Will relocate animals, euthanize if injured only)
  • Critter Control 616-245-4680
  • Chimney Sweeps 616-774-0027
  • Grand Rapids Pest (Insects) Control 616-784-2288
  • Bee Movers G&S 616-364-7736
  • Organization for Bat Conservation 1-800-276-7074 (Located in Bloomfield Hills, they can answer questions about bats [removal, housing, etc.])

Report Poaching or Rare Sightings

Rare bird sightings or questions call:

  • Grand Rapids Audubon Society Doug Powless 616-451-9476


  • Lansing- Law Enforcement Main Line 517-373-1230
  • Poaching Hotline 1-800-292-7800 (Does not usually deal with injured wildlife)

Police/Widlife-Vehicle Collisions

Call the following in the case of a wildlife-vehicle collison. Authorities are not guaranteed to assist.

  • Kent County 616-632-6100
  • Ottawa County Non-Emergency 1-800-249-0911
  • Michigan State Police 616-866-4411

Other Animal Services

  • Animal Shelter of Kent County (Does not handle wild animals)

Complaints 616-336-3210

Licensing 616-336-3948

Lost pets 616-336-3208

  • Humane Society of Kent County 616-453-8900 (Does not handle wild animals)
  • Kent County Health Dept. 616-336-2299 (Call for rabies test and other health concerns)
  • Animal Emergency Clinic 616-361-9911 (Will euthanize injured wildlife that is brought to themfor a fee)
  • Organization for Bat Conservation 1-800-276-7074

Just Love Wildlife?!

See More Wildlife

  • When exploring nature, being quiet allows you to see more wildlife. This includes keeping your pets under control. Having your dogs off leash not only scares wildlife away, your pets or the wildlife could end up injured if they came into contact with each.
  • Try feeding native birds or squirrels at your home. Once you’ve started feeding wildlife you have certain responsibilities: maintain a nutritional diet and clean the feeder regularly.
  • Planting native gardens or landscapes on your property may increase the likelihood that wildlife will call your property home. Check out the following websites for native landscape ideas.

Going Native: Urban Landscaping for Wildlife with Native Plants

Ohio State: Native Landscaping for Butterflies, Birds, Bee, etc.

Kalamazoo Wild Ones: Native Plants, Native Landscapes

Not a Fan of Wildlife?

Easy Ways to Exclude Animals

  • For porches or spaces under buildings like garages and sheds, bury chicken wire a foot down in the dirt and affix it to the bottom side of the structure to prevent animals from living under there.
  • Cover laundry vents with mesh or chicken wire to prevent birds and other animals from getting in or nesting there.
  • Cap chimneys to prevent wildlife from coming in the chimney. Many types of wildlife including bats, owls and raccoons think it’s a cozy place to stay or investigate.
  • Secure all garbage, recycling and compost containers or bins. You may not be feeding wildlife directly, however if the lids of your waste containers aren’t firmly shut, wildlife could be encouraged to return to an easy access food source.
  • Don’t feed animals (bird feeders, etc) if you don’t want to encourage them to be around or possibly inside your home.

Live Trapping

Before you decide to live trap an animal…

  1. You need to figure out where you will relocate it. Mammals cannot be relocated outside of their original county, to decrease the possible spread of diseases. You need to have the permission of the property owner whose land you’re releasing the animals on, as they may not want your nuisance animal to become theirs. Blandford doesn’t allow animal dumping on the property because we already have established animals and adding outside animals can put stress on our flora and fauna populations. It also increases people vs animal incidents on the property.
  2. Once you remove an animal from your property, you need to find out how to exclude that animal or another animal from coming right back to that area, such as under your porch, inside your attic, etc. Otherwise, you can be dealing with the problem again.
  3. It is recommended to cover the live trap with a towel or tarp, because if you trap a skunk, on purpose or not, if it’s covered it will not spray you.

Don’t use rat poison!

Many rodent poisons do not kill the rodent right away; they cause the animal to slowly bleed out.  This slow death allows other animals to eat that rodent, causing you to poison that animal as well. Pets and children can get into those poisons too, so it’s not worth the risk of losing a love one. Using a snap trap is the better way to go.

If you are still having problems with pest wildlife, please contact one of the wildlife management services listed in the contacts above.