Blandford Nature Center Closure and Cancellations
In an effort to protect the public, visitors, and staff and prevent the spreading of COVID-19 throughout our community, Blandford Nature Center is following recommended guidelines from the Kent County Health Department, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
As of now, Blandford Nature Center’s facilities – including the Mary Jane Dockeray Visitor Center, the surrounding buildings, and the Farm – are closed through May 11, 2020. All public programs are cancelled through that date.
We are continuing to watch and evaluate the COVID-19 situation and its impact on Blandford Nature Center. We will keep you informed on further changes through email, as well as on our website and social media channels.
Our trails will remain open.
We hope you continue to take advantage of them. Our trails, habitats, and green spaces offer the restorative, healing, and stress-relieving power of connecting with nature, so we encourage you to get outside!
The Farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is fully operational
The Blandford Nature Center Farm staff is continuing to plant seeds, cultivate the soil, and prepare for a productive 2020 CSA growing season. To ensure public safety as we work on farm tasks, we are following our food safety plan, which is in compliance with all CDC health recommendations. We are also increasing the frequency we are cleaning and sanitizing shared surfaces at the farm. Your CSA memberships have not been impacted by our Farm closure, the closure is temporary and in following social distancing guidelines. Please consider purchasing your CSA membership today. For more information on what a membership includes or to register click the CSA Membership button below.
We thank you for your help towards the re-opening of our programs and facilities to all who wish to experience them beyond the COVID-19 pandemic. We are truly grateful for any support you can give at this time. Your gift today helps ensure that Blandford Nature Center continues to spark a love of nature by offering a variety of experiences to members of our community. To give today, simply click the Donate Now button below.
What to do if Your Pre-paid Community Program/Event was Cancelled
With the temporary closing of operations our staff capacity is reduced. We ask for and appreciate your patience with us as we navigate through these unprecedented circumstances. Thank you for your support and understanding as we do our best to address your needs in a timely and appropriate fashion.
Request a refund:
- Blandford Nature Center will refund any prepaid cancelled program.
- We will evaluate existing program rescheduling on a case-by-case basis. We are looking into alternative replacement programs and options and will resume programming at a later date when it is safe to do so. Continue to check your email for future updates.
Donate your refund:
- We understand that each person, each family is evaluating its own unique situation, including a financial one, as the result of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. We also recognize through your program registration that you understand what Blandford Nature Center provides to you and to the community. You were seeking an enriching experience in nature for yourself, your child, or your entire family. Blandford Nature Center is proud to host over 70,000 visitors each year, and that includes you! We too are in the process of evaluating the financial impacts of the crisis, but we know that there will be a significant funding shortfall due to the closure. If you are in a position to do so, would you please consider committing the amount of your refund as a charitable donation to Blandford? We will use your gift to jump back in to providing the quality programs that enrich your life when we reopen. Contact Teresa Newmarch, Chief Development Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (616) 402-3019 to complete your donation. Thank you!
Education and Homeschool Cancellation Information
If you are currently enrolled in an educational or homeschool program Blandford Nature Center will refund any prepaid, cancelled program.
Camp Cancellation Information
- Spring Break Camp is cancelled for the week of April 6th-April 11th. If you are currently enrolled a refund and additional information will be distributed soon on this Camp program.
- No decisions on Summer Camp have been made at this time. We will be in communication with our families as more information becomes available.
Blandford Nature Center’s Wildlife & Farm Animal Ambassadors
Don’t worry about our beloved Wildlife and Farm Animal Ambassadors during this closure as they are being well cared for during this time. Our staff is still committed to providing them with a clean environment and fresh water and food every day. There will even be opportunities for their quiet enrichment, like turtle watching for Baby the Barred Owl!
What can you do to help support our Ambassadors during this time?
- To protect our Ambassadors from unnecessary stress, as you travel along the Blandford Nature Center Wildlife trail, please remain on the trail and refrain from bringing pets on this trail. Pets are welcome on all other trails.
- As our animals are well cared for and on specialized diets, please do not attempt to feed any of our animals while you visit the trails.
- As many have supported Blandford Nature Center animals through the purchase of in-kind donations of wildlife and farm animal food and supplies, we ask that during this time, as we are unable to receive packages, you consider using AmazonSmile for any of your online daily purchases and list Blandford Nature Center as your chosen non-profit. Amazon will donate a portion of your proceeds to Blandford Nature Center, which we in turn can use to help support our animals. Find more information on this program here: